[国际新闻] 沉默的中国人正酝酿力量等待爆发

1 q3 y) s3 B  x) o
February 15, 2007 基督教科学箴言报1 N3 Q4 k& ?3 S' I+ p
1 e/ }8 a% j/ k9 ^8 S  N
在中国就是这样,你总能等到一些无法预期的东西。但是,光靠问中国人了解中国,是一个蠢的可以的办法,因为你只可能从他们口里听到称赞的话,也可以说,他们也只从中国的新闻里了解有关中国好的东西。那些丑陋或者不适的东西,通常是被忽略的。 人在德国 社区& T4 l; m. L0 z2 q: c

x% C% [. ?2 H) H! u. R/ z* {    直到2006年9月,我从来没有离开过北美。而一次偶然的机会,我收到了一份为期十个月在中国执教的劳动合同,考虑到这是我一次难得的学习机会,我正好利用这次机会来开发和体验这片曾经被美国称为“禁区”的土地。我在这里的工作很简单,就是在广东省一所很小的大学里教大一新生的英语口语对话。人在德国 社区7 I% j/ {6 `- {* N- P# a1 E" M" i& U

8 }  ?* d- G: P. t6 Z0 q3 x# l! i6 Gwww.csuchen.de    然而,虽然听起来是一个很简单的工作,但是我却时常感到自己手脚受缚。因为课堂上不准讨论政治,不准讨论涉及到宗教的主题,甚至不准涉及那些被认为影射中国传统和习俗的课题。 - \: C5 K) h5 Q

& ?3 A0 @6 h+ ^# {- E% Q    我并不了解中国的习俗,不过我可以学习,但是不能影射的中国传统又有那些呢?是指在中国甚嚣尘上的消费至上传统,因为这已成为中国日常生活的重大组成部分,还是指中国古老的好客、持家、容忍的传统? $ X! F$ {: G( D: e2 e

" f2 [, t+ M: ]% @' X9 Z1 L( E# ]    我在从外地回深圳的大巴上一下子丢了大量现金和借记卡,就因为我将自己的旅行袋放在离我比较远的地方,而自己在车上又打了盹。我很想知道,光天化日之下,这小偷在众目睽睽下犯下盗窃之罪而没有一个乘客挺身出来制止,这到底是中国的什么传统?
. W4 m+ V2 m2 I0 z0 r! V
# h  [: c* D* K9 D; ?www.csuchen.de    我的中国同事告诉我,他们肯定有人看到这场盗窃,只是没有一个人愿意报案。忍辱负重文化占了主导。 不久后,我一个中国同事在加油站附近被带刀劫匪抢了包,但这个胆小怕事的女人却不敢报案。 " h: P$ [! s8 Z  V/ V7 a

" z/ Z: S$ Q2 B9 h7 o    中国在进行着深刻的资本主义变革,而容忍当地腐败官员、互联网访问权限受限,缺乏法律援助资源,否定宗教活动,否定言论自由,这一切都是“新中国”根深蒂固的劣根。我真想知道,一个民族礼仪之邦,一个忍辱负重的民族,它的承受能力到底有多强?这是现代中国的一次严峻考验。
9 p- I8 _4 `% g9 D) w1 dwww.csuchen.de
$ t! i) N- B6 J- wwww.csuchen.de    尽管校方有政策,我不能就对中国社会生活某些方面的不满发表看法,但是我还是被允许回答有关我在美国生活的问题。学生们会问我对布什总统和伊拉克战争的看法。我会用英语作诚实回答,同学们也对我的诚实大加赞赏。我解释给他们听时说,反对自己政府的不良行径不仅仅是我作为美国人的权利,也是我的义务。然而,他们对此却茫然了,他们不敢想象作为一个普通中国人反对中国政府行为是怎样的后果。他们的年轻时代就这样碌碌无为的结束,但是我担心,中国的政治文化氛围造就了一代又一代不愿反对任何社会丑恶现象的中国人。  
1 ]* F3 }% t1 P) T  fwww.csuchen.de
5 Y7 w! B1 _1 O( V/ W: n人在德国 社区    在来到中国之前,我几乎没有想过抗议权、争论权、否认权、投票权这些在美国天生的权利会如此珍贵。记住,在中国,还有十多亿人正在忍受无法享有这些权利的痛苦。    & ]/ [' J+ ~( |7 H# K* u
人在德国 社区  ]& k! l! G+ B7 O
    我的学生们都很喜欢他们遇到的美国人,但是他们似乎对美国的评价并不高。他们认为这个国家是一个充满犯罪、不尊重婚姻家庭、不尊重移民生命权的地方。
8 z. N4 X& h5 B3 `# w2 awww.csuchen.de  R% n4 ~% M. F8 m
    我知道他们对美国的了解都是从美国电影里获得的一些零碎内容。要是好莱坞知道它们的电影影响了这么多人对美国的看法,而且是让他们如此误读美国,那美国的这些天才电影制作人是否会有点酸酸的感觉?但是鬼都知道,好莱坞并不是世界了解美国整个国家的唯一信息来源。    人在德国 社区3 P9 `( m' G  R7 i
; Y9 G+ @) N( I4 Q7 n; z  X# M  R8 ^+ u
    也许一切都在改变当中。信息就是力量。中国政府能持续审核所有网络上可以看到的东西吗?也许并不是这样,但是,中国人的勇气应该先与真相暴露。这种勇气应该源自挫败、不满以及忍耐到了极限的爆发。  www.csuchen.de# A& q. _* n7 }" d
www.csuchen.de: |, O& ]9 j& D3 u2 q! V' {
    我曾与一位中国教师进行了坦诚的交谈,他承认中国有很多问题:人口众多,犯罪,污染,缺乏自由,贫穷。我问他为何这些问题一直被忽略,他说,必须保持中国人心智健全。    www.csuchen.de3 X/ D( I# V' {4 E. T0 B! y

$ B* @6 L/ F' ~2 Owww.csuchen.de    我的很多学生都是家里的独生子女。独生子女处理逆境的能力不强,这是一个不争的事实。然而,等他们完成学业走入社会,将有大量逆境等着他们来处理。    4 L% d/ }) a9 F' D) a5 X* u7 y8 q# A
( u0 p8 j# s5 f3 a) w
    中国领导人害怕社会乱,所以他们必须继续控制中国广大人民,让他们静悄悄的生活,不出乱子。但是中国正在经受着伟大的变革,而且勇气并不会被永久压制。 人在德国 社区8 `- a3 r3 k# g: }
人在德国 社区+ D( V; H5 X0 ]
    对待不公,中国公民每天都将需要额外的勇气来呐喊。至于什么时候爆发,世界在等待,并在必要时提供帮助。人在德国 社区8 v2 {# x! k* [( j1 o+ j# v$ i. C

& H" f' ]# g9 t- w1 K/ G7 K' m    三十年前,几乎没有人预测中国可能出现如此强大的自由市场经济。在下一个历史转折点中国又会给世界怎样的惊喜呢?也许,沉默的中国人正在酝酿力量,等待爆发的最佳时机吧。
% ]9 t+ V3 B" Y( p* O
% O) u" U: j( W1 U6 P
Looking for courage in China
$ r/ g' D$ Z5 ]. U& S# w& _: B人在德国 社区The ugly is ignored. The bad is tolerated. When will Chinese citizens speak up?www.csuchen.de0 b) R# L' J3 T1 g) Q

' g( S' D- M% K, y! v( B  ?ZENGCHENG, CHINA - The 50-mile road from Zengcheng to Guangzhou is lined with small stone or brick buildings that serve as both business and living quarters. Garbage is strewn about, and from my American viewpoint aboard a bus, the scenes reinforce the idea that the occupants live in abject poverty.
) _* d( W) f' C- n- C8 ewww.csuchen.de! h! ~% }* [  v7 z  i9 r
Recently, as the bus came to a jolting halt to pick up a rider from such a building, I was bewildered by the contrast. A stunningly beautiful young woman in clean, bright clothes stepped aboard. We made eye contact. I smiled. She smiled back. & ~: G2 }) C4 p2 A

) n( Y0 ~" e/ o) L' ?Such is China – the unexpected waits around every turn. You cannot know what to expect, in part, because you will only hear the good from any Chinese national you ask. The ugly is ignored; the bad is tolerated. # P  g$ y! q$ A  n6 k. r

4 Q* E, `# L3 a2 f2 m; t/ vI had never been outside North America until September 2006. That's when I began a 10-month teaching contract in China. It's an extraordinary opportunity for me to learn, explore, and experience this once-forbidden land. I teach oral English at a small college in Guangdong Province. My assignment is to engage first-year students in conversation. www.csuchen.de8 I  d* d+ a: b1 z( {

* C) }  N' Q5 E# `/ WIt's not easy.
# s: b% Q. T$ A# c; v; [0 ~) I
4 F8 L/ a! S5 c/ B9 r: s人在德国 社区Forbidden topics
8 g2 }% H6 F' J人在德国 社区8 C- W6 o9 `% k. m2 z
At times, both hands are figuratively tied behind my back. Political discussion is forbidden, as well as topics related to religion, or any subject that could vaguely be seen as inconsistent with the customs and traditions of China. # l9 e7 k) n, X

* f+ A& o4 }5 {, \人在德国 社区Customs I can learn, but which tradition? The new tradition of consumerism, which appears to be the driving force in daily life, or the ancient traditions of hospitality, respect for family, and polite reticence?
: Y0 l' s! U9 v$ D  b/ c$ r6 r人在德国 社区6 ?6 V# q+ d* t1 o6 ]
On my two-hour bus ride back from Guangzhou, cash and credit cards were stolen from my bag in the overhead compartment. I was careless to place my bag there, and foolish to take a nap. I wondered how the thief could manage to carry out his crime without other passengers seeing. ' [: P4 K# c5 x% t

% q# X. r1 i/ @  r& kMy Chinese colleagues were sure there were witnesses, but no one would report anything. The culture of silence is still dominant. Another Chinese colleague was robbed by knifepoint at a nearby gas station a week later, but she refused to report the crime. 人在德国 社区: X8 e+ F% |  w& D0 a3 s
www.csuchen.de& K: y  g% l% A4 \( r# T" Q- K
Tolerating corrupt local leaders, censored Internet access, lack of legal recourse, denial of religious practice, and free speech are some communist-rooted traditions that remain unchanged amid the capitalists' revolution. Just how much can a polite and reticent people withstand? That is the test for modern China. $ v; E% @! w; M' h. ~; r, w2 D* m
3 ~2 x2 X2 J0 J0 c6 X" c
Although policy won't let me voice my disapproval of some parts of Chinese life, I am allowed to answer questions about my life in the United States. Students have asked my opinion of President Bush and the Iraq war. I answer (in English) honestly, and I receive praise for my honesty. It is not only my right to object to my government's objectionable actions, I explain, but it is my duty. This point seems lost on them. Maybe it is their youth, but I fear it is the political culture that has raised a generation unwilling to object to anything. / |5 d/ A- T5 ?) D/ H2 r

3 Y2 |% @0 d4 x1 l- cNever before have I believed more firmly that the right to protest, to argue and disagree, and to vote is where America's true power resides. Take that away and you have China, minus 1 billion "tolerant" people. * d0 p# ^! a+ e4 H' o9 n1 w! z
, z* w8 H+ K* m" w: G
My students like the Americans they have met, but seem to have a low opinion of America in general. They believe it is a nation besieged by crime where there is no respect for marriage, family, or the lives of non-Americans.
  t0 B; w& ?% |% T. r' a, l2 v# @人在德国 社区
* X8 }+ m6 p6 P% B0 DMost of their knowledge, however, has been gleaned from movies. If only Hollywood understood how its movies have influenced the opinions of so many, and not in a good way. But Hollywood did not ask to be the sole source of information about America for an entire nation.
4 C+ D/ D$ x+ C1 p* ~! q人在德国 社区' Q9 O5 e- r# Q3 j3 m, j# \: Z
Change is coming...人在德国 社区: N1 S6 `; O& X; V

! Q8 W$ U! i, L* I# hwww.csuchen.deMaybe change is just over the horizon. Information is power. Can China's government continue to censor all that is available online? Probably not, but the desire to learn the truth must come before the truth is learned. That desire must be born of frustration, discontent, and yes, intolerance. 人在德国 社区8 h( X  @% f6 U5 S5 x

0 ~& J1 a* H6 W0 t; i# `0 ^www.csuchen.deIn the few frank conversations I have had with a Chinese teacher, he admitted that China has many problems: overpopulation, crime, pollution, lack of freedom, poverty. I asked why it seems problems are ignored. "To preserve our sanity" was the reply. % o, A; F; P9 b1 P, D: c

|3 o8 X0 \3 L0 F' l% k4 ~In my time here I question why I tolerate China – the crowded buses, packed streets, vendors who see every Westerner as their next target. Then I go to class and see my students. Not unlike their American counterparts, they want to have fun, fit in, find love, and someday secure a worthwhile job and a prosperous life for their families. My efforts may help them reach those goals, I tell myself. . Z: t5 y. n, X/ S* E2 V7 ]: q  y0 V

2 n  q- M3 q2 H' c/ RMost of my students are the only child in the family. Only children aren't known for handling adversity especially well, and there will be much adversity for them to handle when they graduate. - h7 t5 p& H! w% i- p2 r
) G3 l9 e4 v; @# w/ N
Because China's leaders fear chaos, they will continue to control and silence their citizens, even as China experiences profound change. But courage can't be constrained forever. And everyday Chinese citizens will need extraordinary courage to speak out against injustices. It is in the world's interest to watch and assist when that starts to happen.
1 a( ?$ k) W0 o; s) V7 ~4 ~( @人在德国 社区
0 y  ^& b. n. p. A/ Y2 ZThirty years ago, few could foresee China's move to a free-market economy. What unexpected change is around the next turn? Beauty walked out from a garbage heap; maybe progress will emerge from the silence.