一个加拿大球手的自述——在追求奥运会名额的路上的艰难

原文抄自
http://bbs.badmintoncn.com/redir ... o=lastpost#lastpost

一个加拿大球手的自述——在追求奥运会名额的路上的艰难。

这是一篇由加拿大选手Derrick Ng写的文章,发表在一个他个人的网站上,叫做Going For Glory:http://goingforglory.com/

Derrick在国内的比赛里面是三项都兼顾(男单,男双,混双),但是以男双见长,比他大两岁的哥哥,Toby,拿到了伦敦奥运会混双的入场券。Derrick来自一个香港移民家庭,从小在温哥华长大,5岁开始打羽毛球,兄弟两个人的水平在整个加拿大都属于顶尖水准。

入选奥运会是每一个加拿大球手的梦想,奖牌自然不敢奢望,但是能够获得参赛资格对他们来说就是自己职业生涯最大的荣耀。但是,没有举国体制的支持,羽毛球对他们来说不是能够维持生计的职业,而是一个花费巨大的无底洞,Derrick在这个网站上写了两篇文章,介绍自己为了赚钱打球,训练的不易,和为了拿到奥运会入场券的开销。

---------------------------------------

中文翻译是LZ加上去的,如果有不准确的地方请见谅。
WHY I NEED YOUR HELP

为什么我需要你们的帮助

As you can see from my Funding page, I am not the best funded athlete there is. Ever since quitting my job as an apprentice electrician, it has been extremely difficult for me to support myself and my badminton career. I have been completely self-funded for the past few years and the financial strain has not only been on my shoulders but also on my family’s. I do not come from a wealthy family and I appreciate all that my parents have done for me.

在我的“资金”页面你们可以看到,我不是收到最多资金援助的运动员。自从我辞掉了我电工学徒的工作,支持我的羽毛球生涯变成了一件非常困难的事情。在过去几年我一直靠自己筹集经费,但是经济负担不仅落在了我身上,还落在了我家人上。我的家庭不是一个很富有的家庭,所以我很感激我父母为我做的一切。
My savings are completely depleted and all 3 of my credit cards have been being pushed so far to its limits, my interest is almost as high as my minimum payment. As of June 2011, I was forced to quit training full-time and get back to working full-time as an apprentice electrician whenever I was home from my competitions. If I had not done that, I would had to declare bankruptcy at the age of 23.

我的积蓄都已经花光了而且我的三张信用卡都快要超支了,我的利息都快要和最低付款金额一样高了。在2011年的六月,我被迫放弃了全天训练,在不比赛的时候,继续做一名全职的电工学徒。如果我不这样做,我在我23岁的时候就要破产了。
But even when I was training full-time, I had to give up driving my car and had to work part-time. I worked at Posh Charcoal Collaboration, a Japanese style All-you-can-eat hot pot restaurant. My schedule looked this:

现在就算我是全职训练,我已经放弃了开车并且需要兼职打工。我在Posh Charcoal Collaboration,一家日式自助火锅饭店工作,我的时间表是这样的:
Monday
-Wake up to bus and skytrain to Richmond for my training at 7:30AM.
-Train 7:30AM-9:30AM
-Skytrain and bus back to my house to rest and eat lunch.
-Bus and Skytrain back to Richmond to train again from 1:30PM-3:30PM.
-Skytrain and bus back to my house to shower and change for work.
-Bus, skytrain and bus to work for 5PM.
-Work from 5PM-11PM.
-Bus, skytrain and bus back home.
-Eat dinner at around 12:00AM and sleep afterwards.

周一
-起床,坐公交和地铁(在温哥华不管天上的轻轨还是地下的地铁统一叫skytrain)
-训练 7:30am-9:30am
-坐地铁和公交回家,休息然后吃午饭
-坐地铁和公交到richmond去训练,1:30pm-3:30pm
-地铁加上公交回家,洗澡,换衣服准备工作
-公交,地铁,然后再坐公交去工作
-工作5pm-11pm
-公交,地铁,公交回家
-在凌晨12点左右回家,睡觉
Tuesday/Wednesday
Luckily I did not have to work on Tuesday or Wednesday. Tuesday morning I trained from 7:30AM-9:30AM and 5PM-8PM.
Wednesday I trained from  7:30AM-9:30AM and again from 1:30PM-3:30PM. I chose not to work on Wednesday night because it was reserved for the once a week I get to see my mother for dinner.

周二和周三
很幸运地我周二和周三不用工作,周二的训练时间是7:30am-9:30am,以及5pm-8pm。
周三我7:30am-9:30am训练,还有1:30-3:30pm。我周三晚上不工作是因为这是我为了和我妈妈一起吃晚饭的,一个星期一次。
Thursday
Exactly like Monday.

周四,和周一一样
Friday
Exactly like Monday and Thursday except I worked until 12AM and I ate dinner at 1AM.

和周一以及周四一样,不过我要工作到凌晨12点所以我1点才吃晚饭

Saturday
This was suppose to be my day of rest from training but I had to work both shifts on Saturday.
I worked 10:AM-3PM and 5PM-12AM.

周六我是不训练的,不过我需要值两个班。
从10am-3pm,还有5pm-12am
Sunday
Again I worked 10AM-3PM.
Training from 5PM-8PM.

周日,10am-3pm工作。
5pm-8pm训练

Even with a part-time job, it was still not enough. I only ended up having this schedule for around 3 months before I nearly burnt out.

就算我有一份兼职的工作,这还是不够的。最后这份时间表我只执行了3个月,之后我快累坏了。

How much does it cost for a Canadian to qualify for the Olympics?

一个加拿大人想要入选奥运会需要花多少钱?

To become Olympic and compete in the Olympic Games, the expenses, of course, are also “Olympic”.

要做一个奥运选手并且参加奥运会比赛,这个支出也是很“奥运”的(我猜他是想说很多,很“顶级”那个样子吧。)
As you have read in the Olympic Process page, World Ranking is based on the athlete’s top 10 tournaments. To get one’s best top 10 ranking, one will play at least 20 tournaments during the year before the Olympics.  20 tournaments mean airfare to 20 different cities in probably 15 different countries. Each tournament is 7 days long which means at least 5 nights of hotel fees. 7 days each tournament would also suggest 420 meals if one would eat 3 meals a day. There is still tournament entry fees, transportation fees, fees for getting certain travel visa, training fees and other miscellaneous fees.

就像你之前读到的“奥运过程”一页,世界排名的依据是运动员最好的10项比赛的积分。如果一个人想要拿到自己最好的10项比赛的积分,他在奥运会之前的一年至少要打20站比赛。20站比赛代表去大概15个不同的国家里的20个不同的城市的飞机票钱。每一个赛事是7天所以至少要住5个晚上的酒店。7天的比赛,如果每天吃3顿饭的话就是420顿饭。除此之外还有参赛费,交通费,旅游签证费,训练费和别的各种各样的费用。
There are also two domestic tournaments in Canada and the National Championships that are mandatory to play. Another 3 flights, 3 weeks of hotel, 3 weeks of food, etc.

除此之外还有2站必须要参加的国内比赛,以及全国赛是必须要参加的,这就意味着额外的3次来回航班,3周酒店住宿以及3个星期的食物开销等等。
The numbers: (Numbers are approximate)
-Airfare: (Avg. $1000/ticket) x (20 tournaments) = $20,000
-Hotel: (Avg 5.5 nights) x (20 tournaments) x (Avg. $45/night) = $4,950
-Food: (Avg. $10/meal) x (3 meals/day) x (7 days/week) x (20 tournaments) = $4,200
-Training: (COBA training fees) $6,000
-Tournament Entry Fee: (Avg. $80) x (10 tournaments. Not all tournaments have entry fee) = $800
-Travel Visas: ~$500
-Transportation fees: (Avg. $30) x (10 tournaments. Some tournaments have shuttles.) = $300
-Miscellaneous fees: (Eg. Airport tax, travel insurance, wifi, etc.) ~$500
Total: $37,250 CAD

数据统计:(数据都是估算的)
-机票:(平均1000一张)*(20站比赛)=20,000
-酒店:(平均5.5个晚上)*(20个比赛)*(平均45一晚)=4,950
-饮食:(平均10一餐)*(一日三餐)*(一周七天)*(20站比赛)=4200
-训练:(COBA训练费)一年6000
-比赛报名费:(平均80)*(10站比赛。有的比赛不收报名费)=800
-旅游签证:大概500
-交通费:(平均30)*(10个比赛。有的比赛提供大巴)=300
-其他的费用:(比如机场税,旅游保险,Wifi等等)大概500
总计:37,250加币(折合23万950人民币)

This is quite a large amount money to spend. But for myself, I do try and cut spending every chance I get. It’s not like I want to but it’s more like I have to. Like today, as I am competing in the 2011 Puerto Rico Open, I had an apple and a mini yogurt I took from breakfast, and a small airplane size bag of cookies for lunch. I have skipped breakfast and lunch so I would not have to spend money. In Singapore I stayed at a hostel and in Indonesia I snuck into a closed restaurant for a place to sleep. I afford no luxuries when I travel and hand wash all my clothes in the sink if I am on a long trip. It may be a horrible way to compete, but for me, it is the only way to keep competing.

这个花销真的很大。但是对我自己,我尝试着去尽量节省花销。我不想这么做但是我必须去做,就像今天,我正在打2011波多黎各公开赛,我午餐吃的是从早餐拿的一个苹果,一个迷你的酸奶,和一包航空餐大小的饼干。我没有吃早餐和午餐因此我不用花钱。在新加坡我住的是酒店但是在印尼我是在一个关门的饭店里面过的夜。我在旅行的时候不能买任何奢侈品。

------------------------------------------------

值得一提,也很不幸地。
Derrick和他的男双搭档最后还是没有获得奥运会资格。而他的哥哥toby获得了绿卡,进入奥运会。
有一次在facebook上看到他说,结束了他的国际赛事征战之旅。
也就是过几天,在他训练的地方,clearone badminton看到他在打BC省的比赛。也许以后还会打国内比赛吧。
不管结果如何,曾经为自己的梦想努力过,也值得了。